Saturday, March 26, 2011

Tracking Pennies


As I mentioned, I'm going to give tips on everything from health and nutrition to finances and organization.  I truly believe balancing your whole life makes you joyful, or at least, that's what I've found.  I'm going to pass on everything I've learned that's made my life easier, giving me the balance I needed.
For as long as I can remember, I have always kept a budget.  I write down every penny we spend and track it. I used to always keep a little notepad in my purse so I could track literally every cent, but I found that it was always getting beat up, crumpled, dirty, etc.  About 2 years ago found this great little notebook holder that actually held the notebooks I used.  I carry it in my purse so I can document everything.  The notebooks are sold at Target stores, Office Max, etc in 3 packs.  The notebook I got from the Franklin Covey store at my local mall and they had TONS of colors and styles to choose from.  It comes with handy little pen so it's all right there for you.
Of course I also save my receipts, but there are times when I pay cash or don't get a receipt, but I still want to track it so I'm able to write it in the notebook.  Once a week or so I go through my receipts and transfer everything my husband and I spend into the notebook.  I am then able to plug each expense into my monthly budget spreadsheets and cross it off the list to know it's been accounted for.  Once you're all set up with your budget and system, it doesn't take much time out of your week, and it is SO worth it to see where every cent goes, and more importantly, to know you're living WITHIN your means!








Very small and lightweight!


No comments:

Post a Comment