Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Who Needs Potato Chips When You Can Have Kale Chips?!?


I've had several people tell me when they want to snack they want something crunchy because it feels more satisfying and fulfilling.  There's definitely some truth to the fact that crunchiness makes us feel good.  Maybe it's because it takes longer to chew so we just feel like we're eating more when we think we shouldn't be, or maybe it's just that we subconsciously want to put some damage on our food that we often times let control us. When I used to get munchy, I grabbed those fat laden chips or high sodium crackers and went to town.  I could put down an entire bag of them without thinking twice about it!  But that was then...
Now, I find other alternatives that give me the same crunching satisfaction, but WAY fewer calories and a whole lot more nutrients!
KALE CHIPS!
These turned out great - tasty, crunchy, low cal, HEALTHY!
1 bunch of kale (can use 2 if you want more)
sea salt
spray oil (may use 2-3 tbsp of olive oil if not really watching calories)
1/2 lemon, freshly squeezed
tear kale leaves into small pieces and place in a large mixing bowl.
spray with oil (or pour olive oil) and mix lemon into the leaves.
sprinkle sea salt to desired taste.
pre-heat oven to 200F.
Spread leaves on a cookie sheet and bake for 1-2 hrs (depending on your oven and your desired crispness - I like mine relatively crispy) and enjoy!
Can squeeze a little jalapeño juice or seasoning onto it or similar for a little kick.  I sprayed one pan with canola oil with a little cracked pepper and sea salt and one with coconut oil and a little dribble of coconut crystals for a sweeter version.  Both were good, but since I was craving salt when I made these, I seemed to prefer the salty ones!
Picture of Kale Chips before cooking

I never throw anything away.  Instead, I cut up the healthy leftovers and make dog "cookies" out of them!
Picture of cut up leftovers for doggies
And here's the final product!  Yum!  

No comments:

Post a Comment